Application Delivery (ADX)

Contributor
mpower

How do I check the status of my virtual and real servers quickly?

Thx!

Super Contributor
oadam

Re: How do I check the status of my virtual and real servers quickly?

There are basically two ways to do this:

1. Using the WebGUI:

there are sections for the real server and virtual server configuration. Both sections do have a summary tab with some status details.

2. Using the CLI:

the commands to remember are:

show server virtual -> virtual server status (Owner, non-Owner) + virtual server statistics + additional details

show server bind   -> relationship in between virtual servers and real server pool with the health check status of the real servers

show server real    -> real server status, real server service status + real server statistics + additional details

I prefer the CLI method - do not ask me why ;-) maybe because I am using the CLI since years...

Contributor
mpower

Thx - it is as well possible to get the status via SNMP from what I have seen but the CLI stuff sounds interesting.

New Contributor
jtuttle

In addition to the CLI and the WEB UI you could use OpenScript or the Brocade XML API to create a script to enable "on demand" access to the status of your virtual and real servers. In my opinion that would facilitate the quickest checking of specific resources. The benefits of using a script would be the automation factor instead of needing to login into the UI either CLI or Web UI issue the proper command(s) and interpret the results/output. Using a script you determine what you see and how it's displayed, etc. so instead you could access one webpage/url which could display all of the information you desire into an easily readable format.

FYI, you must enable WS-DL for the XML API and using the WebUI facilitates ease of OpenScript scripting, etc.

I have a similar dilemma regarding accessing the "Real Server Availability Pool"; I would think these values would be available using syslog or SNMP but I cannot find any concrete information supporting this assumption. I am unable to "play" with the two programmable interfaces offered by the ADX because the devices are in production or I'd be able to provide the necessary methods, etc. used to obtain the desired information.

Contributor
Alexander.Illmer

Can you explain what do you mean by "Availability Pool".

Thanks

Alex

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.