Application Delivery (ADX)

Contributor

CSW in TCS setup

Hi,

Is CSW recommended to use in TCS mode in ISP setup ?

Can we achieve maximum Cache HITs  through CSW ?

Any commnent or suggestions ??

Thanks.

Occasional Contributor

Re: CSW in TCS setup

Hi

It looks like we have no choice if have some requiement like making decision for caching. CSW will achieve ISP's requirement such as:

• Cache Persistance using URL Hashing <- by CSW
  • Selective Cache content base on sache server <- by CSW
  • URL Bypassing <- by CSW
  • Client-ip insertion (ip spoofing) <- by spoof-support command in cache-group
  • L4-health check <- require configuration in global
  • Limiting Maximum connection per cache server <- in cache-name
  • Weight control <- don't suggest coz effect to hashing, content will be dupplicated in storage
  • etc.

By the way, we can achieve limit maximum connection per server by "max-conn" command in "cache-name {name} {cache-ip}".

My suggetion, you should upgrade software to lastest version (version 12.2.01b in my case) coz it already fixed bug about hashing in TCS. What's more, the more CSW is used the more performance will be dropped coz L7 is proceed in CPU rather than ASIC : )

Finally, I found some stranght about max-conn when it reached the max-conn connection will be slighly decresed before increasing (in 10-15 minutes) like I posted following link http://community.brocade.com/thread/5179?tstart=0. I think it's normal behavor all client can reache the destionation website during the period. I hope my information will help you : )

Best Regards,

Tony

Contributor

Hi Tony,

I do have the latest software code, i.e. 12.2.01b, infact I identified and was involved in fixing a bug at the elventh hour of the release of this code, which was related to the health-check.

What I meant  by max Cache HITs was in terms of Bandwith Gain/ Bandwidth Saving. i.e. the object is served by Local Cache instead from the Internet.

Let say if I use Cache Persistance using URL Hashing, so request for specific URL will always passes through the same Cache Server (Blue Coat ProxySG my case). And if there are multiple hits for the same object it is served by the same Cache Server.

What I wanted to ask here is that does anyone had achived the max Cache HITs as I mentioned above. Also by using CSW is the ADX behave normal and is stable in terms of performance.

Appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

CSW TCS is definitely the way to achieve maximum cache hits with consequent BW gain.

It is a supported solution and implemented by several customers.

Introducing L7 inspection will have an impact on CPU usage that will increase; however this doesn't affect stability.

Hope this helps.

Salvo

Contributor

Hi Berti,

I did use CSW in my initial configuration on ADX, but had got different issues in different times ADX, every time I was asked by TAC engineer to remove CSW and verify if the issue has been resolved. And later the Brocade's systems engineer who was actually involved in the design advised to permenantly remove CSW and use the following command for TCS.

server cache-group 1

hash-mask 255.255.255.255 0.0.0.0

So after experiencing all this I need comments/feedback from those who has already been using CSW without any issue and get the Max Cache HITs in TCS environment.

Thanks

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I don't expect you to experience issues with CSW + TCS if you're running 12.2.01b.

Do you have a chance to try it and let me know?

Salvo

Contributor

Hi Berti,

Can you please share the Admin and Advanced SLB Guides for  12.2.01 ?

Thanks

Contributor

Any comments/feedback from those who has been using TCS + CSW in Enterprise and Service Provider environment will be appreciated.

Thanks

Occasional Contributor
Contributor

Hi Berti,

Thanks for providing the Guides. Here I have couple of quick questions regarding CSW.

From the Data Sheet for ADX 1000 (the Server Iron I do have), below are the L7 connections/sec suppored by ADX 1000.

PlatformServerIron ADX 1000
Layer 7 connections/sec (HTTP 1.0)90,000
Layer 7 transactions/sec (HTTP 1.1)150,000

Since I have three proxySG Cache Servers in my production network and during peak traffic I can see 40,000-45,000 currcon connections on each Cache Server, when show server session command is used. So when I use TCS + CSW, I may be reaching the max supported transaction/ sec for the ADX I have. Can you please comment, what could be the CPU usage at that time and the overal performance of the box.

Thanks

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.