Application Delivery (ADX)

Occasional Contributor
Schmeg

C is for cookie

Hey there,

I am sure I am going to sound lame with this questions, but we have a situation where we are doing some load-generated testing for a server farm and those doing the testing are complaining that all of the sessions are going to one of the 6 servers bound to that particular VIP.... I told them that this was due to the fact they are generating the separate http sessions from the same box\IP address, hence, with sticky sessions and all, they would, as long as the TCP session lasted, be sent to the same real-server regardless of the session quantity... They asked if there was a way to have the load balancer (pair of ADX 1K's) separate out each session and distribute it among said real-servers regardless of the fact that it was coming from\destined to the same IP addresses... So I did some looking and came across Cookie insertion and switching... I have read an few articles on this and have reviewed the manual and it appears that this may do the trick. Is this how you would fulfill this request? Could you point me to a good how-to article on how to configure this?

Thanks much!!

N/A
sdougher

Re: C is for cookie

Hello,

Have you tried changing the load generator to use a range of IP addresses as the source IP?  This would work toward spreading the load across the servers.

To configure cookie insertion/switching, you can find configuration tips here:

Occasional Contributor
Schmeg

Thanks for the response sdougher!

So is my assumption that you can only use cookie insertion\switching on ports 80 and 443 correct? You obviously couldn't insert a cookie on load-balanced traffic that was thick-client\application based verses web based right?

Thanks!

New Contributor
phil.davidson

1. You can insert the cookie in to the HTTP header only, you cannot insert a cookie in to an encrypted header HTTPS / port 443  - unless you terminate ssl on the ADX

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.