Application Delivery (ADX)

Contributor

ADX 1K config advice

Howdy,

Hey, I had a couple of questions for you experts out there ...

I have a pair of ADX 1000's that I am wanting to setup into a Active\Active arrangement, so my first question is, is their any reason I should not consider this? Is this complex to setup? From documentation I have seen, I can use one of the 8 ethernet ports for "heartbeat between this Active\Active pair...? Can I\should I use 2 ports and lag them together for ADX to ADX Active Active purposes?

Next, I want the ADX's to participate in OSPF, so, I have configured transit VLAN that will be tagged on the brocade interface and the neighboring switches interface and have assigned a /30 (ADX doesn't support /31 ) IP to that VLAN on both ends... So, OSPF is up and running good, but with the intention of doing some Direct Server Return VIP's as well as some Source NAT VIP's, is there anything problematic about this style of adjacency (L3 on VLANS)? I want to pursue this type of adjacency per having the ability to still trunk L2 vlans to the ADX if wanted, while giving me the L3 advantages.

Finally, is there away to make a L3 Trunk\LAG\PortChannel on these ADX's?

Thanks in advance!

Occasional Contributor

Re: ADX 1K config advice

Please, find some answers as follows:

>>> Q: I can use one of the 8 ethernet ports for "heartbeat between this Active\Active pair...? Can I\should I use 2 ports and lag them together for ADX to ADX Active Active purposes?

<<<A: you can use one of the ports for the heartbeat. the recommendation would be: use one port for the heartbeat; if that heartbeat port fails, the ADX will automatically use one of avaialble data ports for heartbeat; if you do really have some spare ports, you can use two prots and bundle them; but, please, do not use LACP for heart beat. Use static LAG.

>>> Q:... So, OSPF is up and running good, but with the intention of doing some Direct Server Return VIP's as well as some Source NAT VIP's, is there anything problematic about this style of adjacency (L3 on VLANS)?

<<<A: the strength of ADX lies in its superb Layer 3 features tightly copupled with L4-7 features; I don't see any issues with your design.

>>>Q: is there away to make a L3 Trunk\LAG\PortChannel on these ADX's?

<<<A: I'm not sure of the question. If I understood your question correctly, appraently, the LAG can particiapte in L3. For example, a layer 3 interface (VE) on ADX can include multiple LAGs as well as mutiple independent physical ports. (By the way, the LACP LAG config is not that user friendly on ADX and you might want to consider static LAG).

Contributor

Re: ADX 1K config advice

Good answers. I appreciate you you helping me Derek!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.