Application Delivery (ADX)

New Contributor

ADX 1000F switch code one arm config active/standby. Real servers health status in tesing mode.

I have deployed two ADX 1000F in switch code in active/standby. They were working fine for a month in active standby and were in sync. Last night there was a power shutdown and both ADX went through hard rest. 

Both ADX are connected to Layer 2 switch. Now after reset interface of active ADX gets STATUS DOWN. Real servers health STATUS remains in TESTING forever. While on passive switch everything is green and working but it remain in passive. 

When i munually shut the interface of passive ADX going towards L2 switch, Real servers gets back Active from testing, VIPs gets back active from unhealthy.  

Everything was fine so what happen with hard reset? configuration was saved. Both remains in sync all the time. But if both ADX interfaces are enable towards L2 switch then Real server gets into testing and VIPs gets unhealthy on active but all green on passive. but when i shut interface of passive ADX then active gets fine. 

Please suggest anything.

Contributor

Re: ADX 1000F switch code one arm config active/standby. Real servers health status in tesing mode.

Hi,

Passive ADX learns MAC information form active adx and it will remain standby till its getting the HA update messages from Active ADX. 

On your active ADX real servers are down beacuse the port towards servers is down. 

Looks like there is some kind of loop and spanning tree protocol is making the ADX interface down. You may need to debug the topology of your network. 

-Mohit

-Mohit Sahni
New Contributor

Re: ADX 1000F switch code one arm config active/standby. Real servers health status in tesing mode.

Thanks for the reply Mohit. 

Actually i wonder i have not shut Layer 2 switch and we have not touched its configuration. So why would loop problem started. As far i know that passive ADX does not process any traffic so there should be no loop created through passive ADX right? As its one arm topology. Active and passive both ADX have only one one interface connected to layer 2 switch. If both interface are enable real servers on active goes into testing phase. But are active in passive ADX. When i disable that interface on passive ADX which is going toward switch. Then suddenly real servers comes up on active ADX. 

If passive ADX does not process traffic then there shouldn't be a loop problem right?

Contributor

Hi,

May be I am wrong but AFAIK standby box will not do switching but it will still process the normal network traffic destined to it. I will suggest to look into your topology and see where is the loop. 

Try looking into ADX logs to see if there are any HA status changes and port flapping also look if there is any kind of MAC flapping from one port to another. 

-Mohit Sahni
New Contributor

Ok Mohit i will check it out and will let you know. Just curious that it was running fine for month and without changing Layer2 switch configuration just give both ADX a hard reset suddenly created a loop.  Per active/standby documentation they specificly configure no spanning tree on interfaces. As my topology is One Arm so both ADX are attached to Layer 2 switch and servers are also connected to layer 2 switch. No production traffic is passing through ADX as of yet. One is active and one is passive.  

Both ADX are interconnected with HA vlan which is different. Rest real servers and VIPs are all on same vlan. Layer 2 switch have only one vlan. I just wonder what could possibly have distrubed with hard reset of both ADX with which now they starting creating loop. 

Do you think should i reconfigure their HA setting. Although they are in sync and Active/standby status.

I which i could post the diagram of my topology here. 

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.